Monday, July 18, 2011

FACT: New Friends Need Cookies

Let's catch up. I mentioned earlier today that things have gotten busier and more chaotic on my end of Huspaz (not in a bad way btw) this is partly because I started a new job. HUSPAZ! You should know I have developed a strong urge to feed people as of late. I think it's due mostly to some genetic mutation that kicks in (in my family) in your 20's. I come from a long line of women who daily, and on special occasion, make a point to cook and bake to fill the tummy's and heart's of close friends and family. 

When I meet someone new this internal drive is stronger than ever. "Hi my name is Lauren, are you hungry?"  Odd? Yes. Delicious? I think so. I'm not such a bad friend to have.  So, a new job means new people, who will most likely get hungry at some point during the day. When they do I'll be ready, recently, with a box full of sweet and chewy sugar cookies. 

**To new readers, I don't actually think I'm that cool. Usually I am attempting to make you laugh by being sarcastic. Just FYI. Also, if while reading the above paragraph you were picturing me as some creeper handing out cookies to lure in little children and the elderly you're right on the money. Make sure I'm in a cute outfit in your visual. (Just kidding. I mean about the luring in kids and old people bit. Keep me in a cute outfit as you read on.)** Man, not posting for 2 weeks makes me sound like a real whack job.

Ingredients:

2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups room temperature, unsalted butter
2 cups granulated (white) sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup white sugar for rolling
Assorted sprinkles (optional)

Directions:
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and set aside. 
3. In a separate bowl cream together the unsalted butter and 2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then the vanilla extract.
4. Gradually add in the dry ingredients. Take care not to over work the dough. We're going for a crisp exterior and a chewy center, not a rock.
5. Using a small ice cream scoop or a couple of tea spoons, form simular sized balls out of the dough.
6. Roll the little sugar cookie balls, to coat, in a plate filled with granulated sugar.
7. Place cookies about 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet and press gently with the palm of you hand to flatten the cookies just slightly. 
6. Put the little cookies in the oven they will bake for 8-10 minutes.
7. Half way through the cooking time you can add some sprinkles. Adding them now will cause them to melt a little into the cookie. This looks pretty and insures they won't all fall off before you're friends see them.
8. Allow the cookies to cool just slightly on the cookie sheet and then transfer them to a cooling rack.
9.CHEWY SECRET: the cookies will be chewy when you pull them out of the oven but here's the secret: place all your baked  and cooled cookies in a container with a slice of sandwich bread. In the morning your cookies will be absolutely perfectly soft and chewy and the bread will be dry and stale. Good ol' bread!


~L
 

2 comments: