Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Summer Radish Salad



Monday is the best day for the Farmer's Market in my neck of the woods. While I was there picking up tomatoes, corn, squash, and berries, I stumbled into these gorgeous radishes. I remember eating them as a kid, and occasionally in salads, but I haven't had them recently. They looked so beautifully pink-red I couldn't resist. Once home, I wasn't sure what to do with my little impulse-beauties so I turned to a favorite cookbook of mine: Very Fond of Food from Sophie Dahl. She centers her cookbook around the seasons- cool right?! 

In her cookbook, Sophie has a simple radish recipe that celebrates the radish's unique spicy flavor and texture. It will definitely be a repeat for us.





Summer Radish Salad


a small bunch of radishes
lemon
pinch of salt
fresh mint
drizzle of olive oil


Using your mandolin or some serious slicing skills, slice the radishes into thin, see-through discs. Roll up your mint leaves and julienne. Zest half and lemon, and then sprinkle over radishes and mint, squeeze the juice in also. Drizzle a little olive oil and add the pinch of salt. Toss it all together and stare lovingly as the bright pink skin bleeds into the bright white flesh. Don't forget to eat some.


hope you like,

m

No comments:

Post a Comment