Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Chicken Dinner With A Back Story

Cory and I adopted Lucy a couple of years ago. We soon discovered that pulling the "fluff" out of the new toys we bought was her FAVORITE thing to do.  This was fine with us because she continued to play with the de-stuffed racoons, soccer balls, and bunnies. Plus, Lucy never touched a single shoe, couch pillow, textbook, or trashcan. The only problem seemed to be that the toys at pet store weren't cheap. So, Cory and I started hitting up our local Godwill we snagged second hand stuffed animals for a quarter. Lucy was a big fan, and so were we! It was easier to watch her tare apart a secondhand stuffed teddy bear (that only cost us a quarter) than an $8.99 squeaking duck.

One day Cory and I were out and about and decided we should pick up a handful of things for Lucy to destroy play with. When we walked in, I spotted a brand new Weber charcoal grill. One woman, working, told me that a man donated it earlier because he never used it, not once. SWEET! The grill was only $20. We left with a bag filled with fun for Lucy and a new toy for Cory.

Since I hadn't been cooking or grilling on my own for very long at that point, I made a call home.  My mom gave me a great little marinade recipe and I've been using it ever since.

Grilled Chicken Marinade 
Ingredients:
1/2 Cup oil (olive oil or vegetable oil)
1 Cup vinegar (I use red wine)
1+ 1/2 Teaspoons poultry seasoning (I like McCormick) 
1 Tablespoon of kosher salt
1/4 Teaspoon pepper 
1 egg


Mix everything together using a whisk and let the chicken marinade for a few hours. I throw some veggies like red onion, sweet onion, cherry tomatoes and mushrooms (no mushrooms in this case, Cory hates them) in the marinade as well. 

I like to use boneless, skinless, chicken breasts. I cut them into 2 inch pieces and place them into the marinade along with the vegetables.  

You can marinade whole chicken pieces too and just put your veggies in a grill basket, equally delicious.
Deal of the century pictured above =)

**Make sure you soak your skewers in water for at least 3 hours. ~L









No comments:

Post a Comment