Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Homemade Frozen Yogurt

I hope everyone had a nice, sunny Memorial Day weekend. We had a yummy BBQ at Grandma's house, and I was in charge of dessert. I wanted to make something light and healthy but also delicious.  Armed with the ice cream maker attachment for my kitchen aid (a birthday gift from my aunt) I got to work. 
I combined 6 cups of Greek Yogurt (0% fat), 1 and a half cups of granulated sugar, and 3-4 teaspoons of vanilla extract (I just kept adding vanilla until it tasted right).  I let this mixture hang out in the fridge overnight to chill and let the flavors meld. (I don't think you need to leave it over night, a couple of hours should be just fine)
Then I poured the yogurt mixture into the bowl and let it whirl around for a while (my mixer starts to make a clicking sound when it's ready).  FYI, at this point the frozen yogurt wasn't completely frozen. I transferred the mixture to a plastic container and threw it in the freezer (following a lot of taste tests). 

Caution part 1: it's a little tangy. If you are not already a yogurt fan this might not be the recipe for you, or it might be. I typically hate yogurt. I can never eat it plain. I always add granola or fruit to counter the flavor. However, this was sweeter and vanillayer (yeah it's a word). I served it along side a peach and raspberry crisp. The crisp was nice and sweet so the tang of the frozen yogurt was a perfect complement (sorry I don't have a picture, my camera battery died long before dessert). 

Caution part 2: when it first comes out of the ice cream maker it is really soft and creamy but after it sat in the freezer it was hard as a rock. Let it sit out on the counter a while before you scoop. It softens up. 

P.S. Just wanted to add that there is NO FAT and only 2 tablespoons of sugar per serving. 
P.P.S. If you don't have an ice cream maker I would try putting the mixture into a couple of gallon size zip top bags, put them into the freezer and give them a squish every once in a while. Worth a shot, right? 

~L

No comments:

Post a Comment