Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Things to Love- Skincare and Makeup

Ever since I reached menarche at 11 years old, I was blessed with large, gaping pores, an oily T-Zone and multitudes of zits. Further on down the wonderful road of adolescence I was also bestowed braces, looney-toons glasses, a bad perm, small boobs, a protruding tummy, thin lips, and sensitive skin. Pictures from middle school and early high school still make me flinch and grimace.

Like many girls, I would stare at my flaws in the mirror and pray to God and whoever else was listening that I would happily sacrifice my American Girl Dolls, my prized Limited Too clothes, my pinkie finger, anything for clear skin, bigger boobs and a flat tummy. It didn't work. Neither did proactive, neutrogena, dermalogica, steaming my face, etc. Basically I was on for the ride.

11 years later and my boobs aren't bigger, my tummy still isn't cooperating, but my skin is something I can be proud of. All in all, I'm almost glad that I had to earn my clear skin; because now I do everything I can to take care of it. I always sleep as much as I can, drink water, wear sunscreen and don't squeeze and poke as much as I used too. Along with those things, the following products help considerably. So if you are looking for smoother, glow-y, healthier skin, try out this stuff. I really love it.

**********************************************************************************

Skincare

I don't wash my face with anything more than water and cetaphil gentle cleanser. Any other kind dries my skin out or causes breakouts. (thanks gene pool).

For my body, extreme exfoliation typically leads to itchiness, so i use The Body Shop Soap Free Shower Gel with my shower poof or my hands.



In regards to shaving (which I only tend to do during non-hibernation months) I love Trader Joe's Mango-Honey Cream Shave. If you haven't tried a Cream Shave, they are the best, they moisturize and prevent razor burn.



To moisturize my skin I like Bath and Body Works Lemon-Vanilla Body Cream or The Body Shop's Raspberry Body Butter. Both are very hydrating and smell amazing.

To moisturize my face I use Alba Botanica Sea Moss Moisturizer with spf 15. It doesn't cause my disaster-prone face to well, become a disaster. Plus its light and fresh, not heavy and dense.



About three times a week I use my Alba Botanica Papaya Enzyme Facial Mask. Apparently Papaya is not only tasty, but gets down into pores and cleans them out. It is the best, and probably my most favorite skincare-related item.



**********************************************************************************

Make Up

I hardly wear it day-day. The vast majority of the time I am wearing BareMinerals Matte Foundation. I like it because, again, it does not cause my skin to go all atrocious. Plus it lasts forever. I only buy 2 little containers of it per year.



My mom always told me I needed color on my face. Because naturally it is colorless. Or a shade of off-white with red splotching.  So I finally decided to listen to her. I apply either the rose colored Bene Tint or the poppy colored Bene Tint to both my cheeks and lips. It is great because it is just an understated blush of color, so it looks natural. It also lasts forever.



**********************************************************************************

Vitamins

Finally, I take a women's multi vitamin that is formulated to support skin. I think this is wear the glow-y-ness comes from.



********************************************************************************
The most important thing to remember when it comes to beauty? Don't care what other people think! Make yourself happy first, and then ignore everyone else. 

thanks for reading,

m

2 comments:

  1. I am running dangerously low on my bare minerals blush (which means I probs have another 3 months in there. haha) and this benetint is really intriguing. Think it would work with my coloring? ~L

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes def, it says its flattering to all skin tones!

    ReplyDelete