Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Had To Be Done

Every once in a while I get "the itch". Suddenly everything in my house, in my opinion, needs rearranging. The furniture in our house has stayed in pretty much the same spot since we moved in (due to space constraints), with exception to a few side tables. The surfaces of end tables, coffee tables, shelves, nightstands and dressers are another story.  Since the overall layout of our furniture has remained the same, switching up books, pictures, and nicknacks is my little way of sprucing up the place. It's an easy, and FREE way to refresh your living space, plus its renter friendly! I have a handful of tricks up my sleeve that I have acquired in my 4 years of renting. They usually help me feel more at home, inspired and energized.

1. Clean Slate! Tonight after dinner I decided I'd had it with the current arrangement of the built-ins in our living room. I completely cleared the shelves of all their things and gave them a good dusting. Ahh... clean slate.
2. Shop the house! I am always moving accessories around. When I get bored with the built-in shelving in our living room I head to my bedroom, the attic, the kitchen shelves, or the china cabinet. I borrow some books and swap out artwork, suddenly everything seems brand new. You don't need to go out and buy a million new things every time you get bored with a space in your home. In fact, I prefer the "collected over time" look. 
3. Accessorize with things that are beautiful and functional. This is especially important if you are limited by space. You don't want a bunch of stuff junking up your house, right? I try and keep this in mind when I am shopping. If I come across something in the store that I can't literally use, normally I won't buy it. I find cookbooks, art books or interior design books an endless source of inspiration. I love having them by my couch, so when I'm lounging in the evening I can pull one off the shelf.  


 Anyone out there feeling stuck? Try moving some of your favorite things around. -L

No comments:

Post a Comment