Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Rhubarb Blackberry Crumble

Last weekend Andy & I traveled to visit his parents at their lake house. The lake is great for laying around and reading, eating more bagels than most people eat in a week, and avoiding getting splashed with water by the dog. She {the dog} actually does it on purpose, and always to me. I think I need to assert my dominance over her somehow... :-)


But this time; thanks to a tip from the next door neighbors, we discovered that there were not only delish homemade doughnuts, but tons of rhubarb for sale at the local Amish store. At Giant Eagle, I can buy rhubarb for $8.99/lb-- the Amish people were selling it for .90/lb. I couldn't believe my eyes! I immediately bought 2 1/2 pounds. Which is a lot of rhubarb. 


I love impulse buys.  


So I lugged my rhubarb back to our apartment, chopped 1/3 of the pile up, and froze it for the future. Then I made some more compote {see earlier post- Rhubarb Compote}.


But then, oh my my my. I made a Rhubarb-Blackberry Crumble.


**********************


Fruit Filling


3 Cups chopped Rhubarb
1 Cup fresh or frozen blackberries
1 Teaspoon vanilla
1 Cup of caster sugar
2 Tablespoons of unsalted butter


mix all of your ingredients in a medium sized pot.





Simmer it for 5min or so over medium heat. turn off the heat, and pour into a pie pan or square pan. let it sit while you get the topping ready.






Topping


1 1/3 Cup self-rising flour
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
1 1/4 sticks of unsalted butter, cold, and diced


Stir the flour and sugar together in a bowl. Dump in your butter, and using your fingers, blend the butter into the flour-sugar mixture until it feels and resembles damp sand. 






Sprinkle the topping over your hot fruit. 


Finally sprinkle some more brown sugar over the top. {Put a cookie sheet under your pan to catch any bubbling over}


Slide it in the oven at 375 for 45min. Or until the topping is golden brown and the ruby red juices are bubbling up around the edges.






Let it sit for 10min before gobbling up with vanilla ice cream.







oh so good.


m



1 comment:

  1. That looks fantastic! I seriously considered making the trip =)

    ReplyDelete