Monday, May 23, 2011

May Twenty-third

I hope the rest of the week decides to be as perfect as today was. For the first time in what feels like a month; it was not rainy, cloudy and depressing today in Pittsburgh. Mr. Golden Sun actually did shine through. All day long. Ahhh.

Since Andy had the day off in order to get our car fixed; this afternoon we were able to get all of our veggies, herbs and flowers into their cozy-permanent-pots. Being someone who is prone to getting overly excited and rushing; I miscounted pots/plants and we had to run back to home depot to get more pots and more soil.  But once everyone (I treat my plants like little people too) was tucked away, watered for the day, and arranged prettily about the deck- the effort was worth it. 

I also got a little bold during my outings to home depot and bought some dwarf carrot seeds which I sprinkled around the tomatoes plants- hopefully something happens there... 

I've just found gardening and watching my plants and flowers bloom so much fun and honestly, so far at least, a lot easier than expected!

The other great thing about today is it was our first day with our brand new (well brand new to us) table, chairs and umbrella on our deck! Since we now have a rooftop paradise, we had our dinner al fresco. 

Oh yeah, and dinner was amazing too! Tomato, avocado salad (greens courtesy my window box lettuce, see post), and salmon burgers with chipotle-lime mayo. I was planning on making Laurens Life Changing Lemon Basil Mayo, because I love it, but we only had limes. So I mixed the juice of 1/3 of a lime, a teaspoon of Mexican Style Smoked Chili Powder, and some salt into a 1/4 cup of mayo. It is also fairly life changing, just in a more South of the Border way.

Seriously, Andy is picky and he said it was delicious, so it has to be pretty good.

Overall, it was a great day, but probably my favorite part of the day happened on my walk home from work. I love love love peonies. They are gorgeous and smell great- so when I saw a bush of bright, hot pink peonies growing next to a vacant house, the 'thrill-seeker' in me ran up and started yanking. I was totally terrified someone was going to be like "Hey girl! Stop that!" I would have peed my pants (I am a big baby). But no one did. And now I have a lovely, slightly ant-y, bunch of peonies in my room.



Thanks

m


No comments:

Post a Comment