Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Sounds like...MA-KY-LA

My best friend Lauren and I actually met so long ago that I can't even remember meeting her. Luckily, there's visual evidence of us dressed up as adorable little angels in a preschool play, Lauren looking totally cute beside me, and myself sticking out oddly in hot pink, ribbon-embellished socks.

I wish that Lauren and I had stayed close friends all throughout elementary and middle school, but while I moved around town with my family (attending 2 different elementary schools) she and I were not close; it wasn’t until high school that our relationship developed.   Lauren & I had an English class with my other closest friend, L. During this time we started dating our first ‘serious’ boys, who were also friends. But unfortunately, I was dumped on my ass and was totally heartbroken- whereas Lauren (who will perpetually be more stylish and savvy than I) dumped hers.

Thankfully she was there to pick up all the pieces of my poor little heart. After that we spent all of our time together, starting dating two other boys (who were also friends), went to prom, graduated high school, missed each other terribly throughout college, finished college and helped each other settle down in our new lives; hers in Fredericksburg, mine in Pittsburgh. Because I love Lauren, I started this blog with her, and that being said… here is a little about me.

I currently live in the steel city with my equal parts cute-funny-annoying boyfriend, Andy-who I love up and over the moon. I’m getting my masters in social work and Andy is getting his masters too, both of us at the University of Pittsburgh. We are loving life. When I first moved here, I was nervous, parts of Pittsburgh aren't pretty; and I like pretty. But as time wore on, I recognized the character and unique appeal Pittsburgh has. It’s a funky place, complete with great history, distinct cultures, flourishing art/hippie scene, sports (not that I really follow...), and excellent restaurants. So needless to say it’s a great place to visit/live.

The other thing about Pittsburgh is that Andy has a wonderful, hilarious -and plentiful- extended family that live throughout the Pittsburgh area. His aunts, uncles, and cousins seriously help fill up the gaping hole in my heart that living four hours from my family in VA created. 


My family includes the world’s best and most hilarious Dad, a Momma who is supportive to a fault, a big sister who is my other half, and a little sister who is the definition of life. My brother in law (who is more like a brother, but when I try to explain that people think my sister married my brother…ew) is the guy I always called(before Andy) in any sort of math/car/tax/life emergency.

And that leaves my two nephews, who I love so much that I can't even explain it- really I’ve tried but its just not possible.

Really that’s me, I also love to cook, eat, read, garden, go outside, dream about traveling, spending time with family and friends, shopping, etc…

thanks for reading!

m

No comments:

Post a Comment